Acidity is defined as a condition where the excessive amounts of acid is generally secreted by the gastric glands of stomach. We all require acid (hydrochloric acid) which is produced by the stomach or body for performing the function of digesting the food which we eat. If this acid which is produced is more than the required amount of the body, then these excessive gastric juices will move from stomach to lower part of the esophagus and thus affects this esophagus or the inner lining of the stomach seriously. This condition leads to acidic stomach or acidity.
The normal pH of the human body is 7 which is neutral and the acidity / alkaline balance may vary within the body. Coming to pH of the arterial blood is about 7.35 to 7.45 where as the saliva is from 6 to 7.4. Stomach’s pH is about 2 which is very acidic in nature. In most of the time, this acidity is caused due to poor diet habits and also lack of body movements.
The HCL which is produced by the cells in the stomach is responsible for acidity. This also provides a defense against the disease causing microbes which exist in food and these microbes are unable to tolerate the stomach’s acidic nature. But an enzyme known as pepsin which helps to break down the proteins for easy digestion will not be able to exist in high pH level than that of stomach by resulting in indigestion.
Make sure that if the person who is suffering from the acidity, if not treated on time then it definitely leads to gout, indigestion, stomach gas, arthritis, ulcers formation in the body in either mouth or inner walls of the stomach or esophageal cancer. When once this acidity occurs then the gastric juices will move from the stomach to lower esophagus or the food pipe that in turn results in dysfunctional.
Here are some of the symptoms which you face while suffering from this acidity is listed below. However symptoms like dizziness and fever will lead to hyper acidity. Also never ever overlook the acidity symptoms as it can result in any serious health problem.
- Prolonged heartburn
- Gastro – esophageal acid reflux
- Loss of appetite and nausea
- Burning sensation or pain in the stomach, especially after taking meals
- Chest pain or inflammation in chest
- Formation of ulcer in esophagus tube
- Pain during muscular contractions
- Vomiting or bitter taste in mouth and throat
- Belching, flatulence or constant pain in upper abdomen
- Feeling difficulty in speaking and breathing and also suffering from respiratory problems including cough
- Experiencing earache and constipation
The following explains you what causes this acidity in the body.
- Gastro – duodenal (or peptic) ulcer
- Dysfunction of digestive system
- Excessive intake of alcohol and smoking
- Not eating meals on time
- Reflux of gastric acid due to its weakness of the valves
- Having fatty, spicy and fried foods on regular basis and also in over quantity.
- Keeping the stomach empty for longer time or else skipping the breakfast or lunch
- Over exposure to the sun and heat
- Stress, anxiety and depression
- Obesity (or) Pregnancy
- Irregular and improper food habits
- Hyper secretion of hydrochloric acid
- Excessive consumption of coffee or caffeine and also the foods which has excess fat
Remember that when once we came to know the exact cause for this acidity in stomach, then you can easily find out the treatment to solve it.
Don’t get confused about acid reflux and acidity, as acid reflux is a symptom of acidity. Acidity is caused due to over production of hydrochloric acid in stomach (which is left unused for digestion process) and coming to acid reflux, it is caused when the LES loosen up while the stomach is working to digest the food and this stomach acids will travel back up to esophagus by causing irritation, inflammation to the stomach and in the LES that in turn causes sensation of tightness, pain and discomfort caused in the middle of chest.